Can't seem to start the program

I’m not sure how much information you need but I guess I’ll start with this:

All my certificates recently expired and I was going to update them but when I attempted to start the program, it wouldn’t open (the splash screen would appear and it just closed afterwards). After reading through some forum posts around here, I found that the service associated wouldn’t start and and trying to start it manually gives me an “Access is Denied” error. Supposedly this is caused by something else occupying port 9696 on the local machine but as far as I can tell, nothing else is.

I tried updating the program to its most recent build and reinstalling it but none of that helped.

I’m running Windows 10 1903 on the IIS server, would that have something to do with it? Because I don’t know how to make the service start at the moment.

I’ll include anything else you need to troubleshoot this issue but I didn’t know where to start.

Hi, the access is denied error is not normal and that suggests that windows needs a restart, assuming the background service is running as the default user (System).

One thing to check before restarting is that the serviceconfig.json file is not corrupted, looking in C:\ProgramData\Certify\ there should be a file called serviceconfig.json. Open that and have a look in notepad, it should at least contain {} and not be a completely empty file, typical content would be:

{
  "Port": 9696,
  "Host": "localhost",
  "HttpChallengeServerPort": 80,
  "LogLevel": "information",
  "ServiceFaultMsg": "",
  "PowershellExecutionPolicy": "Unrestricted"
}

If it is completely empty, delete the file and restart the background service - this should recreate the file, then you can start the Certify UI.

If the problem persists, check C:\ProgramData\Certify\logs for service.exceptions.log, a typical working service would report something like [10/10/2019 5:51:29 PM] :: Service API bound OK to http://localhost:9696

1 Like

That did the trick, thank you for your input!