Check out win-acme as an alternative

Hey @commandlinekid check out https://www.win-acme.com/ as an alternative to CertifyTheWeb.

It seems certifytheweb has recently changed their 10 SSL cert limit down to 5 and of course conveniently neglected to include that tidbit of info in the changelog. In fact they didn’t even bother to update all the screen shots throughout their own site that shows the Community Edition running more than 5 SSL certs.

At least win-acme doesn’t try to pull a fast one on people and doesn’t have a limit on how many SSL certs you deploy on a machine.

There are other options for you! :wink:

So I did actually delete this as spam but I’ve decided to undelete it and copy the private response I sent you instead (below). While the post tone is a bit off I do think there is merit to the discussion and the points about it not being clear were valid. Other than in forum responses I have not previously stated the free limit for managed certificates as being 10 as part of official documentation because that was a random number chosen years ago and I wanted to retain flexibility in both directions with that limit.

For those looking for completely $0 alternatives please do check out win-acme and Posh-ACME Certify The Web is a sponsor of both of these projects, amongst other open source software.

If you really need your software to be free of cost is it because you genuinely can’t afford it or because paying is an inconvenience? Is there another reason?

I think it’s healthy to debate whether software should be free (of financial cost) or not, especially when it’s supporting organisations with multi-million dollar budgets, running on servers that costs thousands per year, whilst saving administrator hours (or days) of extra work and frustration.

Here is the general response I sent to @nospacesandshort via DM :

The next release will set the the limit back to 10, there are probably better ways for us to dynamically adjust limits for new users while maintaining the status quo for existing users.

Certify has been paid software (with a limited free version) for 5 years. In that time it’s gone from being a hobby to my main job with an average wage. I spend my time supporting users (free and paid), developing new features and services and maintaining stuff so it doesn’t all break whenever Let’s Encrypt decide to change stuff.

I do understand your frustration at the changes, which is why I’m reverting them.

Your point about win-acme being an alternative is valid for some users who need strictly free stuff, but for users who need supported software or higher levels of [usability, ] sophistication and integration, it’s not.

We do offer some non-profits a free license if their funding is less than $1m USD per year.

I hope you’ll consider this perspective and please respect this request to refrain from combative commentary on the community forum.

As a for-instance regarding non-profits, if you make $350,000,000 per year we do expect you to pay $49.99 for a license key (if you need the full version) or for you to sponsor whichever app you do eventually choose. Please, feel free to debate this with me here.

1 Like

Thank you for your kindness in responding. I did that last night, and now have win-acme running. I hope I help people too.