Staging test work, unchecked that box and it fails

When i put the CA in staging it work but when i just uncheck that box it and run it. I get an error
“There is no matching ACME account for the currently selected Certificate Authority.”

Hi,

So what’s happened here is that when you’ve started using the app you’ve created a new Let’s Encrypt account with ‘Staging’ checked - that’s fine but you also need to create a ‘Production’ Let’s Encrypt account. Most users just create a ‘production’ account as this is the default and the only way to get a valid certificate, you should generally only use staging when you have for specific testing to do and don’t want your production to get rate limited with failures etc.

If you look under Settings > Certificate Authorities then click ‘New Account’ you can create a new Let’s Encrypt account (don’t click ‘Use Staging (Test) Mode’ as you want a Production account). Once that’s done you should have two accounts listed, one called Let's Encrypt [Staging] and one called Let's Encrypt [Production]. The app will dynamically choose between these depending on whether you have checked Use Staging Mode (Test Certificates) on your managed certificate.

Based on your use of the app, is there something you feel we should change in the UI that didn’t make this clear enough?

I guess as far as the UI goes, i had no idea that was there. i keep looking under the certificate authority to turn staging on and off. i got nothing from the interface so maybe if you are checking and unckecking the box if there is not account for it setup for the type (staging vs production) then a popup stating that you have no account for this type with a prompt to take you to the location to set it or maybe just a warning at the top that only one type is configued.

I guess as far as the UI goes, i had no idea that was there. i keep looking under the certificate authority to turn staging on and off. i got nothing from the interface so maybe if you are checking and unckecking the box if there is not account for it setup for the type (staging vs production) then a popup stating that you have no account for this type with a prompt to take you to the location to set it or maybe just a warning at the top that only one type is configured.

EDIT: I see the message at the bottom “there is no matching ACME account…” This message is unclear to me and again directs me to the certificate authority. Maybe expand on the message to make it clear where that is set or just add it to the FAQ so it can be googled. When i searched for the exact error message i did not find anything obvious.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!