Anyone using MailEnable e-mail server? ✉

Hi :smiley:

I am looking to deploy Certify the web with Mailenable if possible.

Is there anyone here that already have done it and if so could you be kind share how configure certifi the web and MailEnable please? :smirk:

Thanks in advance. :+1:
Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

According to this post: Update SSL certificate - forum.mailenable.com MailEnable picks up the first matching certificate from the local Machine store (under My/Personal) that matches your domain. In their example script they modify the stored certificate permissions so that the MailEnable user (IME_SYSTEM) can access the private keys.

Here is an example script which might work. It takes our most recent certificate and updates the access to the private key so the IMS_SYSTEM user can read it, then it restarts the Mail Enable service:
[See edited version below]

As mentioned in my support ticket response to you, the general process would be:

• Install Certify The Web on your server (the free version will work fine for this evaluation)

• Acquire your certificate (using either http or DNS domain validation): Requesting a Certificate | Certify The Web Docs

• Add a deployment Task (most likely the powershell scripting task) with your own custom script to apply the SSL certificate to your server (in this case, MailEnable). Scripting | Certify The Web Docs - you can run your task repeatedly to develop/test it without re-requesting your certificate. You will want to apply the SSL configuration changes, then you will probably want to restart the MailEnable service (as per this example).

1 Like

Thanks a bunch all the information and your kind reply.

Hmm I attempted with both scripts and they both failed unfortunately:
The below one is from the script posted here.

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Thanks, here is another version with a fix for a mistake getting the correct certificate Thumbprint. If the “Some or all identity references…” error persits, check your Mail Enable service account name. This script is assuming “IME_SYSTEM”, but it could be something else.

param($result) 

# Script to allow MailEnable user "IME_SYSTEM" to read private key for the given cert
# based on code example from https://mailenable.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40948#p115342

# Specify the user, the permissions and the permission type
$permission = "IME_SYSTEM","Read,FullControl","Allow"
$thumbprint = $result.ManagedItem.CertificateThumbprintHash

# get the stored certificate (must be in My store, not WebHosting)
$cert = Get-ChildItem -Path cert:\LocalMachine\My\$thumbprint

# configure file system access rule
$accessRule = New-Object -TypeName System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule -ArgumentList $permission;

# Location of the machine related keys
$keyPath = $env:ProgramData + "\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\";
$keyName = $cert.PrivateKey.CspKeyContainerInfo.UniqueKeyContainerName;
$keyFullPath = $keyPath + $keyName;

try
{
   # Get the current acl of the private key
   $acl = (Get-Item $keyFullPath).GetAccessControl('Access');
   # Add the new ace to the acl of the private key
   $acl.AddAccessRule($accessRule);

# Write back the new acl
   Set-Acl -Path $keyFullPath -AclObject $acl;
}
catch
{
   throw $_;
}

# optional, restart of Mail Enable service
Restart-Service -DisplayName "MailEnable*"
1 Like

Thanks a bunch @webprofusion :+1:

I’ll attempt to test it later through the time when I have frees time slot.
I’ll make a update later on how it went.

Thanks in advance.:smiley:
Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

1 Like

Unfortunately I still receive sort of the “same error”: :scream:

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Ok, does your system have a user called IME _SYSTEM?

I will check it if the server has it.

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Hmm nope, doesn’t seem that the Windows VPS server has it:

:thinking:

Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Hmm correction. for some reason it doesn’t show up in CMD net user command. But it does show up through run command → lusrmgr.msc

So yes, apparently the account is there.

Thanks again. :+1:

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

So the script is currently set to update settings for “IME_SYSTEM” (not “IME_ADMIN”) so you need to figure out what user account your Mail Enable service runs as then target that account in the script instead (i.e. change IME_SYSTEM to the correct user account).

1 Like

Hi and sorry for my slow response. I been crazy busy the last couple of days :smiley:

Well in the services.msc console it looks like this:

So it runs on the standard local system user it seems?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

OK. Try just changing the script to use IME_ADMIN that should at least work without error, then see if the mailenable certificate settings UI can see the certificate.

1 Like

Ok, thanks a bunch.

I’ll will try this later then and get back there with the results. :smiley:

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Well i think i figured out why IME_SYSTEM is missing in our installation of MailEnable:

https://www.mailenable.com/documentation/10.0/Standard/MEInstaller.html

We are currently running the free version standard of MailEnable so that user doesn’t exist. Only if we upgrade then we will have it. Well that is what I read of from their text here.

So I suppose will attempt to run the script with IME:ADMIN instead as you suggested…

Let’s see how it goes :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Hi @webprofusion

So good news! This worked fine. :smiley:
Do I need to do anything like setup some kind of schedule for this to run too?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards
AngryWarrior.

Great, so the script will run every time the certificate automatically renews, which by default is every 30 days (you can change this under settings). The Certify background service controls the actual automatic renewals so there is no schedule to setup.

Hi @webprofusion :smiley:

Awesome, thanks a bunch mate :facepunch:

Kind regards
AngryWarrior

1 Like