COMException Cannot write configuration file during final binding step

Running on Windows Server 2012 R2
CertifyTheWeb v4.1.7.0

The cert is being generated fine, but the final step to bind to the default website is failing now, see log entry below.

Any idea why it stopped working or how to fix?
Thanks!

2020-07-31 23:06:08.054 -04:00 [INF] Completed Certificate Request.
2020-07-31 23:06:08.336 -04:00 [INF] Performing Automated Certificate Binding
2020-07-31 23:06:41.987 -04:00 [INF] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800719F3): Filename: \?\C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config
Error: Cannot write configuration file

at Certify.Management.Servers.ServerProviderIIS.d__15.MoveNext() in C:\Work\GIT\certify_4.x\src\Certify.Core\Management\Servers\ServerProviderIIS.cs:line 281
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Certify.Management.Servers.IISBindingDeploymentTarget.d__3.MoveNext() in C:\Work\GIT\certify_4.x\src\Certify.Core\Management\Servers\ServerProviderIIS.cs:line 825
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Certify.Core.Management.BindingDeploymentManager.d__9.MoveNext() in C:\Work\GIT\certify_4.x\src\Certify.Core\Management\BindingDeploymentManager.cs:line 428
at Certify.Core.Management.BindingDeploymentManager.d__7.MoveNext() in C:\Work\GIT\certify_4.x\src\Certify.Core\Management\BindingDeploymentManager.cs:line 272

I’ll answer this myself. I discovered the cert was installed fine on the machine, so I went to IIS to manually select the new certificate. I got the same error certifytheweb got - that the file was not accessible. I rebooted the machine, and this fixed the situation. I have no idea what caused the issue, but the reboot fixed it.

Cool, glad you got it fixed! Haven’t heard of that one before that I can remeber but it sounds like a corrupt config file. You should also plan to upgrade to the latest app version as we only support the current release for bug fixes etc.