Manual start deployment task after error

Hi,

when one of the deployment tasks failed after certificate renewal, I can no longer run deployment tasks manually. When a deployment task has failed, it sets the status of the certificate to failed blocking all scripts.

Logfile entry when starting script manually:

2020-08-05 11:03:52.274 +02:00 [INF] Task [CTW-CopyCert2Queue] :: Task is enabled but will not run because primary request unsuccessful.

The GUI however shows a popup telling the deployment script ran without errors.

Thanks, you can edit your deployment task to also be able to run on any request status - the default is On Success. Technically (pedantically?) as the task is configured to specifically only run on success then having it return a non-failed results when asked to run is correct, because it has correctly decided not to run. Thatā€™s confusing, I know, perhaps the play button should force it to run regardless of the task configurationā€¦

I mostly agree. I realized rather quickly thatā€™s what was happening when I ran into it, but in the back of my mind I also thought that maybe it should have just done it anyways if I was manually pressing a button to do it. It seemed more counter-intuitive than confusing. Manually changing it to run anyways, pressing the button and changing it back seemed backwards in comparison.

1 Like

Ah, so manual start honors the ā€œrun task even if previous task step failedā€ setting? I assumed this was only checked during normal execution, never really thought about turning it on for manual start.

Maybe you could add a dialog, asking to continue running a task manually when the request status is not succesfull?

1 Like

Oh, I meant Trigger, not ā€œrun task evenā€¦ā€.

Iā€™m going to update it in the next version so that it confirms if you want to force the task to run.

1 Like

Even after allowing the script to run on success and error, it still didnā€™t work as expected. The script is started but my code checks $result.IsSuccess, which is set to false since last full run failed, so nothing gets executedā€¦

How about a ā€˜reset statusā€™ button on the main tab? After fixing any problems after last run, you can then start any deployment scripts without having to do a full renewal.

Possibly in the future, but currently weā€™ll stick to only considering the current status as ā€˜Successā€™ if the last request was successful, just to keep it simple.

See Version 5.1.0 (Release Candidate) testing for the next proposed release for testing.