System.MissingMethodException

I received an automated notice that our SSL renewal failed.
I went to the machine that runs the CTW to open the app… and that error pops up every time I try to open it, and then it closes. We cannot get anywhere. We have done nothing for configuration changes in months, so this makes no sense that it suddenly died.

The full error is this:

An error occurred: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: ‘System.Threading.Tasks.Task1<System.Collections.Generic.List1<Certify.Models.Config.ActionResult>> Certify.Management.Util.PerformAppDiagnostics(Boolean, System.String)’.
at Certify.UI.Windows.MainWindow.d__14.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
at Certify.UI.Windows.MainWindow.PerformAppStartupChecks()
at Certify.UI.Windows.MainWindow.<Window_Loaded>d__13.MoveNext() in D:\a\certify-service\certify-service\src\certify-build\certify\src\Certify.UI.Shared\Windows\MainWindow.xaml.cs:line 209
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at Certify.UI.App.Main()

No one else out there with this issue ?

Hi, I can confirm this is not a known issue and it has not bee reported by anyone else. Here is the code for our app diagnostics:

It does things like checking how much disk space you have and whether your system time is in sync. The error itself sounds like one of the app file is not as expected.

Has this machine suffered any storage related glitches recently?

To begin with I’d check the machine is all up to date on windows updates, uninstall Certify The Web (your settings will be preserved), then completely remove the C:\Program Files\Certify The Web folder so there are no stray DLLs. Then install the latest version of the app from https://certifytheweb.com (don’t reuse an old downloaded copy etc in case that’s somehow corrupted).

Windows updates were all in place
No storage issues / lots of free space / no dead drives

So… uninstalled, -installed latest version, manual run and it worked ok this time. Not sure why it just suddenly choked on itself like this but thank god it didn’t lose settings and need all kinds of crap to re-build. We count on this just being able “to work” for our one SSL that we need it for.

Thanks for the help and suggestion. I was worried if I removed it that it would lose the configs!

Thanks, glad you got it working. Yes the only time the app itself touches the files under C:\Program Files\ us during an update, which is normally supervised by the user (so they’d see if a file is locked etc during update). If you have automatic updating of the app configured somehow then perhaps switch that off. If you do perform an update it’s perhaps worth then opening the app to ensure it’s all still running ok. What version of Windows Server are you running?

It’s worth having C:\ProgramData\certify included as part of whatever machine backup you have.

Hi,

The whole machine is backed up every night to an external Fireproof/water proof drive (one of those “IoSafe” models). It’s running Windows Server 2019 (it is a VM under a 2019 host).

No I didn’t have auto updates on. Once in a while when I would open it manually to check on the status is when it would prompt me about any update being available. I hadn’t opened it in probably… a month or so when I got the notification that the certificate update failed.

1 Like